Monday, April 11, 2011

Intrepid Explorers

It was a lovely day on Sunday, so when the kids came home I took them to the beach. We found a previously unexplored stretch of beach and commenced the hunt for treasures. You know, the usual stuff: star fish, shells, crabs, stones, bones and bits of broken coloured glass.
Amid Intrepid Beach Explorer Zoe's raptured screams of, "It's beautiful" every time she found a new item came an urgent request for backup from Intrepid Beach Explorer Mischa, "I've found a really big shell, and it's perfect, but I can't reach it." Then those big blue eyes gazing adoringly at me, "Can you get it for me please mummy ?" So I go to investigate and see what looks like the most perfect abalone shell nestled amongst some low growing seaweed about a metre out from the rocks.
I'm not so wild about seaweed so I make the decision to leave my runners on for the recovery mission. I step off the rocks into the water and it's really friggin' cold. I wade out to where I can reach the perfect specimen. The excitement is overwhelming. I steal a glance back over my shoulder at my Little Intrepid Beach Explorers, standing side by side on the rocks, gazing upon me like I'm Indiana Jones on a Crusade for the Elusive Perfect Shell.
They think I'm so brave. I'm their hero.
I turn back to my mission, bend over and reach my hand into the water. My fingers close around the sought after prize and I bring it to the surface. I'm speechless. There's no words for what I've retrieved from the icy depths of a Frankston beach late on a sunny Sunday afternoon. Intrepid Beach Explorer Mummy, her jeans soaking wet to the knees in freezing cold water on the third day of winter, turns back to her adoring children and holds out the treasure.
A plastic lid off a McDonalds drink.

2 comments: